Malacca is a historical coastal town in Malaysia and capital of the state of Malacca. The city is located in the southwest of the Malacca peninsula on the Strait of Malacca, about 80 km from the mainland of Sumatra. Today the city no longer plays a role anymore for shipping because large ships have too much depth to be able to use the port.
Malacca was founded by Parameswara, a Srivijayaanse prince who came from Sumatra in 1396. What began as a fishing village, then became the most important port in the region. The city played a key role in the spice trade and served as a stopping place for trade between China and India.
Malacca was occupied by the Portuguese in 1511 on August 24th. In 1641 the Portuguese, with the help of the sultan of Johor, were defeated by the Dutch who took over the reign. There are still visible architectural remains of the Dutch era, including the Stadhuys. The Stadthuys was built in 1650 and is widely considered the oldest Dutch building in Asia. At the Dutch Square, popularly known as the Red Square, for example, is still the in 1750 build red-white church called Christ Church (originally a Dutch Reformed Church), which is now an Anglican Church.
In 1824, the colony was handed over to the British. The Anglo-Dutch treaty is known as the Treaty of London. After the dissolution of the British crown colony in 1946, it was, together with Penang part of the Malayan Union, in 1957 part of the independent Federation of Malaysia and in 1963 part of Malaysia.
Here are some pictures of sights in and around the city; Bukit China cemetery, the old fishing port, A Famose fort, the Cheng Hoon Teng temple, the night market and an impression of a trip by boat.
Click on a miniature-photo to enlarge it, then navigate using the arrows left/right of the photo or use the cursor keys on your keyboard.