Glenveagh National Park is a park in the northwest of County Donegal, Ireland. The park is also home to Glenveagh Castle and its gardens, which overlooks the nearby Lough Beagh lake.
The castle was built around 1870 by John George Adair. Adair was also responsible for the so-called Derryveagh expulsions in 1861 when he expelled 47 families from their homes. The second owner of the castle was Arthur Kingsley Porter, a professor of fine arts at Harvard University. Together with his wife Lucy he owned the castle from 1929 to 1933, when he disappeared in an enigmatic way during a stay on the island of Innishbofin.
The last private owner of the castle, Henry P. Mcllhenny, donated the castle and most of its contents and gardens to the state on his final departure in 1983. The park was opened to the public in 1984 and castle in 1986. The 13-hectare gardens surrounding the castle offer a variety of trees, shrubs and flowers from around the world.
Below are some photos made during a visit to this castle and park in may 2018. Click on a miniature-photo to enlarge it, then navigate using the arrows left/right of the photo or use the cursor keys on your keyboard.