Taman Fatahillah Square and the Sunda Kelapa Harbor are 2 touristic sights in Jakarta, Indonesia.
Fatahillah Square (Taman Fatahillah) was the town square of the Dutch settlement of Batavia and is where the most well preserved buildings from that era are located in Jakarta. The square is named after the sultan who defeated the portuguese in 1527. Batavia was the name of the capital of Nederlands-Indië, the Dutch East Indies, present day Jakarta.
The Wayang (Puppet) Museum is on the west side of Fatahillah Square and has an excellent collection of leather and wooden Indonesian puppets from all over the country. Wayang theater is an inherent aspect of Indonesian culture.
The Jakarta Historical Museum is on the north side of the square. Completed in the early 1707, it is in the former City Hall (Stadhuis) of Batavia. This building was the administrative headquarters of the Dutch East India Company and later of the Dutch Colonial Government. Furniture, artwork, maps, memorabilia, and other artifacts are on display that document the evolution of Jakarta.
Si Jagur, a Portuguese cannon, sits in front of the Historical Museum. It was believed to bring fertility, so women hoping for a child would sit on its barrel.
The Museum of Fine Arts and Ceramics is on the east side of the square. It has over 400 exhibits of rare paintings, sculpture, Batik paintings, and ceramics.
Sunda Kelapa is the old port of Jakarta located on the estuarine of Ciliwung River. Sunda Kalapa (Coconut of Sunda) is the original name, and it was the main port of Sunda Kingdom of Pajajaran. The port is situated in Penjaringan sub-district, of North Jakarta, Indonesia. Today the old port only accommodate pinisi, a traditional two masted wooden sailing ship serving inter-island freight service in the archipelago. Although it is now only a minor port, Jakarta had its origins in Sunda Kelapa and it played a significant role in the city’s development.
Here are some photos from some government buildings in Jakarta and these 2 places.